Monday, January 08, 2007

A new example of anticlimax

You've heard the one about the example of an anticlimax in use at Harvard? "For God, for Country, and for Yale."

This was mine on the bus this morning: Isaiah Berlin, Virgil, Martin Peretz.

I haven't made up my mind about whether I would like Hillary Clinton to be the Democratic nominee for President in 2008 or whether I would like her to be President. One reason I might not like to see her as President: 4 years of Martin Peretz using the Diarist page of The New Republic to rant about the Clintons might drive me nuts--especially when the "back of the book" in the January 15 issue was so interesting. After Isaiah Berlin on Jewish identity and essays on Robert Fagles' translation of the Aenied and Melvin Ely's book on free blacks in an antebellum Virginia community, comes another argument for the moral and political superiority of Al and Tipper over Bill and Hillary.

No comments: